For my final design I have narrowed the base image down. I took the image and cropped it to size (5.25×8.5) and began to alter it.
I started with the color of the base image, changing the temperature and sharpness. I chose to keep the original and work from there.
I then took the image and made a higher contrast with more blue. I chose to make it more colorful because of the audience. Studies have shown hat children respond more with brighter colors. Afterwards, I took the image and two variations.
I have the choice of my most successful design from the previous post be a combination of the cartoonish set in which I used construction paper and basic computer graphics to create these two looks. I would have to make a combination of the text of the red design and combine it with a more refined background of the purple one. I will be using this design IF my first choice design does not work out well.
My first choice design is a photograph design. In which, I have made a model of what Shag’s dragon liar would resemble. I used paper, spray paint, and spanish moss. In order to improve on this design i would experiment with different lighting and a more effective was to display the type.
I have used a red flash light to create an idea of space along with emphasis on what I want the view to see. I have also removed the type, so I can add them using a computer.
I am posting my trial and errors for my designs:
1) This image was inspired my the comic strips. in previous posts you can see how i concluded on the color scheme. In this post, i will discuss how I got from point A to B.
At this point i realized that using colored pencil created in in the color. I then moved onto the computer to generate my design. (I am not comfortable with this method because i am relatively new with it) After using the computer I took my design and varied the color to appeal to the young boy demographic
2) With my watercolor design, i wanted to emulate an image that the readers (kids) could identify with. With my first round of watercolor, i used the wrong paper so it came out too wrinkly. I used a heavier weighted paper for the re-do.
3) With this image, i wanted to create the feeling of old world scripts. I took soy sauce and tinted the paper. I then took a lighter and burned the edges! I wanted to create a lot of contrast, I put the burned paper on a black background.
4) As you can tell in my thumbnails and previous posts i wanted to create an image that kids can relate to. This is why I did not want to create smooth, elegant, and complex designs. I bought a dragon on amazon.com. and drew inspiration from this object.
From this, I made a model in a box! I took a large shoe (men’s size 14) and made a model out of spray paint, paper, spanish moss, painted out signs, and rocks! I wanted to create the image that had the dragon in its lair (where he hides)
I have narrowed down my thumbnails. I chose multiple ideas with very different themes based on the inspiration I found through other moves, books, and images found on the internet. I wanted to use a large variety in materials. This is so I can create different effects with the images as well as set the tone for the message I am trying to convey.
For the first image I wanted to give the look and feel of a comic book. Shag, the Effervescent Dragon is a hero! I wanted the carefully chose the color pallet when using red. This is because many superhero comic books have a particular color scheme and I did not want the viewer to associate mine with Superman or Batman. I utilized a website called “Color Scheme Designer”.
I was also inspired by the word “effervescent”- light and bubbly. When thinking of the plot, the dragon would blow away the troubles in a light and airy way! Therefore, I am using watercolor to create that effect.
I doing the thumbnails I kept in mind the materials I would you to create a children’s books:
- Construction Paper
Now that i have decided why my synopsis/plot is for “Shag, the Effervescent Dragon” i can move onto find inspiration for the covers.
Lord of the Rings has a dark undertone and a ordinarily overlooked boy to save them. The lettering on the ring itself has an old-world feel to it but is not recognized, much like the world the setting of the book.
The Iron Giant, was a film about an iron giant that fell from space. The “alien” or “robot” is kind but is seen by the public as scary and a monster. He eventually saves the world
Dr Suess may seem to be juvenile and off topic, but is is not. Many of the author’s work is about an ordinary hero (Horton Hears a Who) or something fantastical. The setting is very different than the ones above, however, the same principles/morals apply.
I also found inspiration in comics.
- Create a design using the title below and an image (or images) of your own creation.
- The final size is 5.2533 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall. Full color may be used for both the image and the type. You must include the title and author’s name. No additional words may be added without approval from the professor.
- Title: Shag the Effervescent Dragon (or Shag, the Effervescent Dragon).Emphasis may be placed however you choose—through capitalization, typeface choice(s), weight, size, position, and color.
- Author’s Name will be your name
- Title and Author’s Name may be typeset or drawn in any fashion (typefaces, style, alignment, colors, sizes, etc.). Both must be readable in your final design and help to convey the message* of your story. For this design, dominance must be given to Title over Author, but both must be readable from a distance of ten feet.
When given the task of making sense of the title, “Shag, the Effervescent Dragon”. You mind will wander, brainstorm, and hopefully come up with multiple answers.
I have narrowed my ideas down to the genres of teen fiction of children’s books. This is because I want to have the freedom of scifi and multiple uses of material. (Its hard to use construction paper for an adult thriller)
Below in the picture is my synopsis of the book:
Landing onto a dark world where dragon slaying is a way of life, Shag, the effervescent dragon had to learn how to remain unnoticed. But shag is no ordinary dragon, he possesses a power that could save the planet. What will Shag do when he has to decide their fate?