For this assignment, we are to take another groups logo and CBO and create several products where the logo would be:
NewOrch is a after school program that targets young students in the Newark, NJ area. In this program, students will be learning how to play classical instruments which would pose as a positive force in their lives. This skill set would teach them the importance of dedication, cognitive skills, discipline, and responsibility.
Some colors we plan on using is the bright orange that is present in the logo, the yellow of the board, dark green, white, and black.
With our logo appellations, we want to keep in mind:
- Newark is a huge area, one of the largest cities in NJ, it must appeal to a broad range of people
- Newark is an area with higher crime rates in some areas, therefore theft can always be an issue
- We want these kids to feel cool and confident. Designs should not be about showing the logo, but making the design relatable therefore, wearable.
- The people who donate will most likely not be the parents whose children attend this after school program along with the students in the program
We barnstormed and created an area of products that would fit this unique situation. Some ideas that would we found appropriate:
- “cinch” or drawstring bags- we did not want to make items that would be too expensive to make or sell to the students. Drawstring bags are inherently “cool” and inexpensive. Backpacks could also be subject to theft.
- Business cards- for contributors
- A website that would be geared for donations and stay up to date on current events and happens of the organization
- An I.D. or bus pass holder that would go to the students
- Stickers that would go onto notebooks or even interment cases
- T-shirts that young students could wear
The first round of designs:
This is the front and back of the cinch/drawstring bags. The color green is used. it is double sided, that way students can chose which side they like most– giving them freedom in the choice and more flexibility. One side displays the instruments that would be used and the other side illustrated a set of equalizers that would add a “cool” factor into the design.
Problem: the first image is too “rock and roll”. it does not go well with the other designs nor does it pair well with the area it is in.
A similar green was used in this design. These shirts use characters that are kid-appropriate and are simple enough to be relatable.
Problem: the design is very juvenile and the logo is difficult to see. The characters are nice, however it is not going to be worn by older kids.
Instead of a business card to hand out, we wanted to do something that would not be thrown away the moment it was received. This means adding value to the “business card”. We decided to move forward with a magnet that can be put on a car or a refrigerator as a reminder of the organization, what it does, and where to contact them. The colors were chosen on the basis of looking clean and professional. The cityscape is used to aid to the vision of the city, Newark.
Problem: the cityscape does not feed into Newark, it feeds into NYC. The music notes take away from the logo
This is the sticker decal that would be given to students to put on a number of things including their instrument case. It features a set of “cool” equalizers and the cityscape to incorporate the city of Newark. Also the logo is places above, as if it is ascending. The color use was the friendly and vibrant yellow seen on the moodboard. The other color was considered a “brick red”, this color is not on the moodboard but it plays on Newark’s nickname, “Brick City”. The city features many brick buildings.
Problem: The brick orange is the stronger of the two. But the cityscape gives off the same problem the magnet did: it does not describe the area
The website is clean and features tabs that would draw in donators and display things that would interest them. The site is also mobile/smartphone friendly.
Problem: the instruments on the bottom are professional and clean looking but it does not go well with the rest of the designs.
Second Round of Designs:
The issue with the design was resolved by making the bag only one-sided
Problem: the green does not pair well with the overall set. Perhaps the strings can be made orange? But the logo also fades into the background which does not allow the logo to be highly recognized
The brick orange was used. The city scape was taken out
Problem: too clipart-ish
Problem: the font a the top needs to be addressed and match the font of the logo and size. The colors are not matching the set of other applications
Other resolutions that need to take pace:
- The shirts could be a different color that would adhere to the set more.
- The shirts should be used by everyone in the program
- The music book needs to be seen as a music book on a stand
- The lanyard/I.D. holder could be stolen
- The colors need to match in every aspect of the logo applications
The final set:
The green shirts geared toward children were take out and replaced by a gender and age neutral set in black and white. We tried to put in the equalizers, however, it mak the design appear very boxy. Therefore we took it out.
The placement of the logo allows to to appear as a graphic tee.
The cinch backpacks were put into black white and brick orange. We took out the equalizers so it would pair well with the tee shirts. We did not want to tees to look out of place. We did not want to element of the equalizers to become part of the logo, we want the equalizers to be associated with NewOrch but not be a required element.