Throughout this experience I have experimented with many thumbnails, ideas, themes, typefaces, and colors to create a set of designs that would convey the same idea and work together to “promote” Shag, the Effervescent Dragon. I have learned through Project 1’s Sign Sets how important it is to convey a single message that will be about to be linked to all of the other images in the minds of the viewers. Therefore, the reader of the book will know that the billboard is for that book or that movie poster in the subway.
With this image, I wanted to create a fun, realistic design for children. I wanted the readers and viewers to be interested. For this, I decided on a colorful theme as opposed to the real local colors, incorporated real life toys that can be purchased, chose colors that are gender neutral (orange) and would appeal to children.
In addition to having billboards and book covers, we were given the assignment to create a movie poster! Basically, I need to rearrange the separate images in the design to fit the new dimensions and add credits.
The challenge with credits on this design is finding the balance between function and visual perception. This issue is brought about because even though credits are not always the most important thing to see/read, you want the credits to be legible! Also, the credits need to be small enough so that it does not interfere with the design/image itself and become too distracting. In the end, I chose to have a small amount of LEGIBLE credits on the bottoms of these two images. The credits are readable and out of the way of the images.
In this assignment, we needed to take the type and image design, and create book cover, billboard, and movie poster. I am still working on my movie poster. However, my book cover and billboard are compete. The billboard was challenging because of its very different dimension in comparison to the original design. I moved the dragon and rock in the foreground and separated them from the bag round. When placed just right, the layers match in a way that allows for spacial recognition but is cohesive.
After using the subject matter and the audience I am trying to target, I have narrowed down my book cover/ Type and Image Design. I chose this image as opposed to the duller, greyscale-ish image due to the audience. Younger people, mostly children, take color into deep consideration. In fact, as we get older, our eye sight/ perception changes. Children enjoy bright, eye-catching colors! Therefore, I chose the design with high contrast. I also believe that the orange “sign” compliments the cool colors of the dragon and the similar color of the rock.
The only issue the class found with this image is the visible margin rules of having a sign/plaque (title) which is that the margins=tracking space.
This is the new image that I will be using to create my book cover, billboard, and movie posters. The change is subtle, however, it is visually more pleasant and cohesive.
For my final design I have narrowed the base image down. I took the image and cropped it to size (5.25×8.5) and began to alter it.
I started with the color of the base image, changing the temperature and sharpness. I chose to keep the original and work from there.
I then took the image and made a higher contrast with more blue. I chose to make it more colorful because of the audience. Studies have shown hat children respond more with brighter colors. Afterwards, I took the image and two variations.
I have the choice of my most successful design from the previous post be a combination of the cartoonish set in which I used construction paper and basic computer graphics to create these two looks. I would have to make a combination of the text of the red design and combine it with a more refined background of the purple one. I will be using this design IF my first choice design does not work out well.
My first choice design is a photograph design. In which, I have made a model of what Shag’s dragon liar would resemble. I used paper, spray paint, and spanish moss. In order to improve on this design i would experiment with different lighting and a more effective was to display the type.
I have used a red flash light to create an idea of space along with emphasis on what I want the view to see. I have also removed the type, so I can add them using a computer.
I am posting my trial and errors for my designs:
1) This image was inspired my the comic strips. in previous posts you can see how i concluded on the color scheme. In this post, i will discuss how I got from point A to B.
At this point i realized that using colored pencil created in in the color. I then moved onto the computer to generate my design. (I am not comfortable with this method because i am relatively new with it) After using the computer I took my design and varied the color to appeal to the young boy demographic
2) With my watercolor design, i wanted to emulate an image that the readers (kids) could identify with. With my first round of watercolor, i used the wrong paper so it came out too wrinkly. I used a heavier weighted paper for the re-do.
3) With this image, i wanted to create the feeling of old world scripts. I took soy sauce and tinted the paper. I then took a lighter and burned the edges! I wanted to create a lot of contrast, I put the burned paper on a black background.
4) As you can tell in my thumbnails and previous posts i wanted to create an image that kids can relate to. This is why I did not want to create smooth, elegant, and complex designs. I bought a dragon on amazon.com. and drew inspiration from this object.
From this, I made a model in a box! I took a large shoe (men’s size 14) and made a model out of spray paint, paper, spanish moss, painted out signs, and rocks! I wanted to create the image that had the dragon in its lair (where he hides)